Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Reflection from the Connected Coaching Course

In the final week of the Connected Coaching course I've been taking, we were asked to reflect transparently upon our growth:

As I filled out the Week 11 Self Assessment as my first step in the self reflection process (my assessment of myself is here), I found myself going from mostly 2s (indicating I could do this in a planned or basic way) to 3s (purposeful) to 4s (consistent and intentional) as the criteria moved from specific Connected Coaching skills to more general skills of listening and lifelong learning.  I think this is a good reflection of my growth over the last 12 weeks-- I've started integrating more of the Connected Coaching ideas while strengthening my existing skills from before the class which were more generally in the same vein as Connected Coaching.

In my Learning Pledge, I stated:
I plan to accomplish these objectives (These were the A to D ones) by completing readings and explorations offered by the course, by participating fully in online discussions and meetings, by reading and reflecting on related material outside the course, and by using what I have learned in my many roles as an educator and reflecting upon my experiences.

Although some of these goals can be completed within the 12 week course, others will continue beyond the course’s end date.  

I will reflect upon my progress during the week 8 and 11 reflections and also on my blog at http://educationandinnovation.blogspot.com/.  My reflections should indicate that I am making specific changes to my practice as an educator that align with A through D (listed above) and demonstrate what effect those changes have had.  I should also be able to describe and explain specific strategies in my own words and be able to explain them to others.  Finally, my reflections should indicate that I am making connections between what I already know and can do and new or different ideas presented in the course.

I feel like I've done well in regards to the first paragraph,  I have had particular weeks or discussions I didn't "completely" engage in, but overall, I have participated and also started to apply the material outside of class.

My written reflections haven't been as frequent as I intended, but I have spent time with local colleagues discussing and reflecting on the material in this class.  If only I had carried a video camera to capture those discussions!  I've begun to apply the strategies in the online course I started teaching Monday by paraphrasing and asking questions that hope to evoke stories from the students as they post introductions.  The true test of what I've learned in this course I think will be in teaching this online class.

This is my first class on coaching in any form, and although I may never be certified as a "PLP Connected Coach," I've learned a lot over the summer and found it worthwhile as a person who hopes to continuously improve in my practice as an educator and as a life long learner.

2 comments:

  1. Heddi,
    I'm so glad that you've found what we've learned together of value and worthwhile.

    I too wish you had recorded some of your conversations as we could have learned much from as you develop even more fully your appreciative stance and model for others your gift of self awareness around making assumptions.

    Thank you for all you have added to everyone's learning, and for taking on a leadership roll with your group on the toolkit.

    The Connected Coaching certification is still to be fleshed out completely; with your completion of the course-- there may be possibilities as we formalize that.

    My best wishes,
    Lani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heddi,
    The value you have for continuously improving your practice as an educator is evident in the fact that you had frequent conversations with your colleagues about your learning in the CC course.
    What is one thing from the course you will carry into your teaching?

    ReplyDelete