Friday, July 13, 2012

Developing a Professional Network

I started developing a professional learning network (PLN) in February 2012 after going to the California League of Schools technology conference. Connecting with educators across the world has helped me tremendously in learning how to use technology effectively with students. I follow about forty educators on Twitter and about the same number of blogs using Google Reader and an app called Feedly. I also have a Google+ account where I follow about forty educators. Here's an example of my Twitter feed from the conference I went to recently:

I don't read all of these resources every day but I usually look at at least one a day. I look for posts about topics of special interest to me like using iPads in the classroom, but I also enjoy reading about big ideas in education. I occasionally post questions when I need help and I share great resources when I find them.




In one way all these sources of information can distract me from spending time actually doing something when there's so much to read about! I've been trying to use this blog as a way of taking my PLN to the next level of producing information that others can learn from.

I think my students have some of the same basic challenges I do of participating and not just consuming information online. We also share the challenge of how to become a part of that community-- how to figure out what we have to say that's worth saying.

There are several ways I might support students in using the Internet as a personal learning space. First, I might model how I use my own PLN. Second, I can teach students how to do effective searches so that they can find people who share their passions and interests. I can show them how to notice the links to Twitter or Google+ on a website and demonstrate how to connect with others using various social networks. Finally, I can encourage students to participate by contributing ideas to the stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment